The word “relax” has its origin in the Latin word “relaxare” which means “to loosen”. When we engage in relaxation techniques we are in effect loosening tension, releasing tightly held energy and letting go. Relaxation is a way to level out stress and “rest” our minds and bodies.
- Give yourself a cue—tell yourself it’s time to wind down, like slipping into sweat pants or a favorite t-shirt when you get home.
- Sit quietly—sit quietly and calmly for 3-5 minutes.
- Less clutter—clear your world of needless clutter.
- Breathing—give yourself some deep breathing; breathe in for 7 seconds, hold for 7 seconds and exhale for 7 seconds.
- Breathe through your nose and breathe deep—if you do it right, you won’t hyperventilate or be gagging for air.
- Have an end-of-day ritual—have a regular ritual as you prepare for bed, something that you look forward to.